Thread: F1 2012 style.
View Single Post
Old 8 Jun 2012, 14:42 (Ref:3087570)   #9
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Option 5 for me. We are where we are, so we might aswell enjoy it - after all, we spent years bleating about there being no overtaking!

I know we talked about this endlessly in the tyres thread, but... there is no such thing as "pure" racing at this level.

Unless it's a tightly controlled spec series, someone will *always* have an artificial advantage over the rest at any given point. That may be down to money (Ferrari, McLaren and now Red Bull), cheeky design loopholes that nobody saw coming (Brawn), innovation (Chapman and the first stressed member designs) or something else (Option 13!). It may simply be down to having a team that works well from drawing office to driver (The Brawn/Todt/Schumacher years), or someone who can wrestle a donkey of a car better than anyone else (there have been many).

Only if you can absolutely guarantee that all the cars are identical can you call the racing anywhere near "pure", because then it is solely down to the driver - and only then if there are no other factors such as the weather changing.

The teams asked for tyres to be made to spice up "the show", the FIA mandated it of the supplier, the supplier made them.

It's always the case that the drivers and teams with a better "feel" for the car will deal with the precipice these (or any) tyres have in terms of performance better than those who don't. But please, for everyone's sake, let's park the "purity" argument.

Last edited by Greem; 8 Jun 2012 at 14:43. Reason: Putting my vote in