Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Compound Interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Warm tyres give more grip than cold tyres. However what opportunity is their to warm tyres on a Sprint or Hillclimb? Do sprinters chose tyres that work better cold or does everyone have tyre warmers(!). Or are there burn offs as in drag racing?

What is the form in Sprinting and Hill Climbing?

And then there is brake temperatures.

Is the cold tyre thing part of the fun?
Let me deal with this list of questions in order:

1. MOST venues allow tyre warming (i.e. spinning up the rears and then hard braking to put some heat into the front tyres and the brake pads) although where for instance the start for a sprint is actually on the race track then tyre warming is NOT allowed. There is always a designated area in which you can warm up the tyres; doing so outside of this area is frowned upon.
2. BMTR provide a full range of compounds for the Speed Event competitors.
3. Tyre Warmers are ILLEGAL.
4. Cold Tyres are not part of the fun, they are part of the challenge!
5. The application of tyre softening chemicals does occur but can reduce the life of said tyres.

Watching one of the big V8 single seaters warming up the tyres is certainly a crowd pleaser, although I am not quiet sure why they need to do it so many times. After all once they have spun up and put some heat into the rubber they then have to be lined up on the start and await the green light. During this time the tyres cool down at a rapid rate.