Old 12 Jan 2007, 10:19 (Ref:1813091)   #22
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonners
BUT - and this needs checking - surely the relevant point is the car not the class you're running in - in other words if the car is roadgoing etc even if you're entered in the turbo nutter slicks and wings modsports loony class you may not have to have a roll cage.

Anyone know definitively??
In Road Modified a 'Roll Cage' is not mandatory, however it is in Mod Prod and Sports Libre as is a Log Book. It does not matter that the car is Road Legal the rules plainly state it must have a roll cage/bar. Plus you must also have minimum of a 4 point harness in Mod Prod whilst it has to be a 6 point harness in Sports Libre. It is all in the BLUE BOOK.

I run a totally Road Legal 1970 Lotus Elan and when I asked about having a log book I was told 'No it's Road Modified you don't need one.' I then asked what if I ran the car as a Mod Prod on List 1B tyres - still road legal. Then people started to um and arh! So I asked a scrutineer the same question. His response was enlightening and went something along the lines of 'No you don't need a Log Book because it is Road Legal, however I would advise that you get one as a lot of Scrutineers would not realise that you didn't need one and you might just get thrown out of the meeting!' At this point I arranged to have the car logbooked and I can now run it in Road Modified (if I get some List 1A tyres), Mod Prod or even Sports Libre.

It is a minefield and even scrutineers seem to vary in their opinion. At Pembrey in 2006 I rolled into the Scrutineering bay and was immediately asked for my Insurance and MOT. When I pointed out that you didn't need one in Sports Libre and that I had a Log Book the Scrute was gob-smacked!

With respect to the original question about the MX5, I would consider selling the car and getting something that would be more competitive for the same money. Fitting all sorts of aftermarket products will more often than not see you ounted into a class where you will be uncompetitive. OK you still get the buzz from taking part in a great sport, your car will be a talking point in the paddock, but will you be satisfied?