View Single Post
Old 28 Jan 2009, 07:03 (Ref:2381191)   #56
TR7V8
Rookie

TR7V8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't agree with you Socram. Every bum on a seat at Pukekohe that weekend was a bum that not going to be at Taupo so there is no question that some motorsport fans chose Pukekohe over Taupo. I don't blame them because they got more races for less money - easy decision but if the motorsport organisation in NZ cooperated better there would never have been another significant meeting on A1GP weekend. The fact that there was just makes you ask why.

You can not tell me that Taupo wouldn't have been better attended if there was no choice of motorsport events last weekend. So the conflict can only have come about due to short-sightedness, selfishness or greed unless you want to include ignorance or ego in that list & it could have been coming from both sides, I don't know. I'm just saying that to have the 2 meetings on the same weekend was an own goal for NZ Motorsport. So even if it wasn't sabotage it was stupid.

Haven't said that I don't think the A1GP organisers did themselves any favours. There wasn't as much dead track time as you might think, looking at the fairly meagre schedule but it wasn't a great line-up by any stretch. At the least something like those 30+ Formula Fords should have been at Taupo & there should have been something with bigger feilds than the Porsches & Toyotas. Taupo is a big track so it looks empty with 12 cars on it.

Why can't Motorsport NZ run the sport for maximum success of the industry rather than just administering the rule book.