View Single Post
Old 29 Sep 2011, 21:17 (Ref:2962713)   #11
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
JDI, help me out with something please

I was always given the impression that the v8's had to leave Pukekohe because the horse racing track wanted to take over, obviously that didn't happen

was, i mislead, or was there a change of plans?

Thanks
I don't think anyone was mislead as such. I'm pretty sure that this was the case and then the circumstances changed.

Pukekohe used to get the 4th biggest Friday crowd of any V8 Supercar event. The trouble was, come Sunday, you were packed in and really there was no growth opportunity.

I can't remember if it was the year before ITM became naming rights sponsor or the first year that they were, but it was on either the Saturday or the Sunday that Hamilton was under 1000 tickets from being fully sold out and may have got as low as 500!

The gouging that goes on in the hospitality sector for accommodation is amazing. One motel that is close to the circuit - a very short walk indeed - I can usually stay at for $125-150 a night any day of the year. Stayed there the night before the night of the recent Rugby World Cup match in Hamilton for $225 - not a rugby fan, had no idea of the game happening, huge surprise.

To calm my disbelief, the motelier pulled out a rate card and points to my $225. I asked what the $300 a night deal was for and was told that is for Fieldays and the V8 Supercars when Hamilton fills up.

V8 Supercar TV have stayed at this place - I thought Wow, money for jam there! They'd fill it I'd reckon and at $300 a night.

So lots of Aucklanders don't bother going. This year, I could've easily filled a 50-seat coach with the number of people I know who don't go because of the accommodation cost or the travel time. The drive can be two hours in each direction I am reliably told.

V8 Supercars could go a long way by running trains from Britomart in Auckland stopping all the way to Hamilton and then have shuttle buses going between the train station and the track.

Judging by the shock announcement from Shane Howard, you have to wonder if they have lost their heart for the event, which is actually really sad if that is the case.