View Single Post
Old 2 Apr 2010, 01:17 (Ref:2665191)   #352
dereklola
Racer

dereklola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phil de Banks

Phil de Banks raced as Aylesbury racing out of a cow shippen near the village of Hardwick. In 1965/66 he ran a yellow (with matt black painted interior) Anglia with 1650 Twin Cam and what I used to think of as enormous sized tyres - mainly in club races at Silverstone - quite successfully. He rented used race tyres by the weekend from an outfit in London. In 1966 he also raced my Group 2 Anglia with 1200 engine at events like the Martini Trophy at Silverstone and the Grand Prix meeting at Brands. I lost touch with him after that.

He previously worked at Alexander Engineering porting heads. He told me that on one occasion some royalty figure was visiting and when he came to Phil said "Ah - so this is where the work is done". I believe he later raced Minis quite successfully - as mentioned on other threads.

I'd love to get in touch with him again. Anyone know where he is now - he'd be well into his 70s - even I am. I heard some years ago that he was running a Guest House or small hotel in a south coast town. The guy who told me this just happened to stay there and was intrigued by the various trophies and a polished crank in the display cabinet - but couldn't remember the name or address. Derek.