View Single Post
Old 23 Nov 2008, 10:21 (Ref:2340063)   #33
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirenzo
Well, hang on a minute. For many people, the intrigue and interest in the performance of the cars is very much part of the spectacle.
I would only be half as interested without this kind of discussion.

As someone whose earliest recollections of 'racing' centre mostly around the physical and sensory awe of vehicles at speed - the power, the driver working at the wheel, the sound echoing off the trees and the ground reverberating under your feet - the actual sporting spectacle, for me and I suspect many others, is actually relatively tame and uninteresting by comparison.

There's no reason why the physical capabilities of the car, the lap times they can achieve and other technical details can't be considered a substantial, if not the greater element of the sport by some people.

Really, the issue here is that the need to discuss both the car's performance, and the weekend at hand are conflicting with one another. Perhaps a moderator will consider splitting the thread, or allowing another to be started for one or the other topic?
Pirenzo, Thats why we have Formula One.. Its all about the cars performance..A1 is more about drivers performance for there country..If you want a faster car you need to look at major changes to the series, as the car will become much more labor intensive. Currently the cars are crated straight after a race and not accessed until the Wednesday prior to the race. (With no testing) Reliability is normally a compromise when you go faster.. There is also the issue of Ferrari engine, which is a compromise for having the the image as oposed to a dedicated race engine. I think A1GP has got it right!