View Single Post
Old 25 Apr 2010, 14:20 (Ref:2679373)   #162
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[QUOTE=djb;2679368]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
F1 engines have around 250 ft lbs of torque. But this is greatly multilplied at the wheels because the higher rpm limit of an F1 car requires much lower gearing.

Is it just me or does that not make sense? lower gearing? 200+whatever mph needs X gearing whether the engine is turning at 2000rpm or 18K.

I would like to do some searches for torque ratings based on some older engines (5 years maybe) that would point to the torque ft lbs. 250 seems rather low.

One thing I have never really properly understood is the hp/torque relationship in an engine, and how diff engines have diff ratios, that I admit , and have heard in the past of these engines not having super high torque ratings. Just odd with the high hp, but again, i dont really follow it.
I think what the OP meant is that although the torque figure for the F1 engine seems much lower the power won't be because of the high rpm as power is proportional to torque multiplied by rpm.