Old 30 Apr 2014, 21:20 (Ref:3400158)   #7
Cuttlefish
Racer

United States
Seattle, WA
Cuttlefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
Is it easy to roam the track? I plan on canvassing just about every corner in the hopes of getting as physically close as possible to the action. Photo wise I am limited to a 200mm zoom. Do you think that will suffice to get descent pictures?
Yeah, easy enough. As EricS mentioned, the Turn 11 area was closed last year; they were in the process of putting up the grandstands for F1 (I assume). Despite it being closed, no one was guarding it, so I was able to walk all the way around to the RV area. The bridges are fairly smartly placed; the most "remote" part of the track (other than Turn 11) is probably Turn 1, takes a while to either take the bridge to the support paddock or the tunnel to the main paddock.

One note, the WEC teams get the F1 garages, so it's tough to get a good look at those cars in the paddock without an invitation!

I brought a 250mm (on a crop body), and found it to be more than adequate. You're not going to find any photo holes, and the catch fencing is unrelenting all the way around, with a secondary fence between the GA areas and the marshal access roads, further complicating things. Most of the berms allow you to shoot over the fencing without too much hassle, and the undulations of the track help to ease the angle. I generally find shooting around the fencing part of the fun/challenge!

Some of the best spots for photos were on the bridge stairs; the sides of the stairs weren't covered, offering some great shots. I was surprised there weren't ushers hurrying people along, as it was getting quite crowded and there was a lot of L-glass.