View Single Post
Old 26 Mar 2005, 13:21 (Ref:1262289)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The only current F1 drivers we might see in the first season of A1 are the current Minardi and Jordan drivers, but only if they can't renew their F1 positions. Karthikeyan would probably be keen to race for India (they certainly don't have anyone else who's even close to F1 standard right now), but Alex Schnaider probably wouldn't like it if he did, especially as no form of racing is 100% safe, adn ever sicne Jim Clark died in a meaningless F2 race most F1 guys ahve concentrated purely on F1.

I think any effects A1 has on F1 will be positive, by attracting viewers in more different countries, developing new racetracks which F1 might be able to consider in the future, and ensuring that motor racing doesn't disappear from public view for several months of the year (I know NASCAR runs 10 months of the year, but that's hardly mass-market outside the US), and bring in more sponsors.

The threads in the CART and IRL forums were closed under the idea that the series has no effect on those championships, but I'm not convinced of that. ChampCar in particularly could suffer a ittle, especially as they are increasingly looking towards the east for their drivers and circuits. New drivers could be brought to their attention, but they might have less reason to compete in ChampCars and uproot themselves to North America. The chances of real US superstars competing int eh series i quite low,a s they'd value their off-season (and the restrictions placed on them by their existing contracts) too much.