View Single Post
Old 30 Aug 2012, 12:17 (Ref:3127356)   #2466
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
I'm probably not as old as you but my father was around in era's of yesteryear meeting the likes of Jim Clark and James Hunt to name just two. He no longer watches the sport as he doesn't like the corporate way things have gone. He thought the 80's was bad! Anyway I have watched the sport for so many years and its just in my routine. I read about it every day and watch every race either live or recorded, but the way TV rights are going I will be unable to follow it properly as I have no chance of getting Sky installed. I might be considered the 'right crowd' amongst yourself and other enthusiasts, but I'm no longer the right crowd for the Sport itself. Sad, but I suppose it was always going to go this way.
I still watch, having had Sky anyway for several years, although I watch the Beeb out of choice. I don't know why, because I moan all the time, but I suppose I still love it so much. I hate the "sameness" of it all, the fact that you wouldn't know what country you were in if you weren't told, the fact that all the drivers are so PR conscious they're afriad to say the wrong thing. But I can't stop.

The cars are great - the peak of engineering and creativity, it's just a pity that the knowledge available today means they've all come up with the same answer. The drivers are great - we're going through a phase at the moment where we have several drivers at their peak who would have stood out in any era. But I really loathe, I mean really detest, the way the sport is so homogenised, so generic, with hosting countries who have no real love for it, and fans/organisers being ripped off by faceless bankers, in it for the profits. I'm fully aware that the changes were inevitable, as big money was required to fulfil Bernie and CVC's dream of expansion and worldwide popularity.

Sorry for this OT rant. I'm a member of the Nostalgia Forum at the Autosport site - your dad would like that, highly recommended. You should hear what THEY have to say about modern F1, it makes me sound non-judgemental. Places like Bahrain, Malaysia etc are called "playmat" circuits. It's GP-lite as far as they're concerned.

If Sky continue to braodcast the races as part of a regular schedule, no probs. If they make it PPV per race, they can forget it. I'm off.