View Single Post
Old 16 Aug 2005, 00:44 (Ref:1383221)   #18
lcfp2297
Racer

Australia
lcfp2297 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
This is the same issue as the other thread about the camera.... despite the assertions that the result could be changed, there is no precedent, and indeed not formula or prescription to remove race time from a car and change the placings.

It seems easy to be able to add time to a car, but unless I am very much mistaken, other than this race I dont know how you can adjust race times up and down in the current V8Supercar regulations

I have an interesting ponderance though... as I understand it... the non-laser speed detector used at Oran Park at the weekend, is supposed to be used in a defined range of operation, in order to reduce the risk of stray return signals from other vehicles or objects.

So for example, if you point one of these guns at a certain angle, and the signal bounces back, you may in fact miss your target at speed, and pick up the following car, or indeed a tree that has been in the ground for 20 years, also travelling at 41 km/h!!

There are police guidelines in place for the use of measuring speed with a non-laser style radar gun.... which requires that the equipment is calibrated to manufacturer standards... so 41 km/h is indeed 41 km/h, not some other speed....

The issue here is said to be one of calibration and installation.... with one suggestion made that the equipment currently in use at circuits such as Oran Park have not been calibrated within the guidelines of the maker, and indeed the operators in pitlane may not be certified in the use of said equipment by that manufacturer....

All this rubbish goes away if they cut timing lines into the pitlane, and let the Dorian Data-1 system do what it should be capable of doing!!
If your assertions are correct, then why was it that only two cars were pinged? Systematic error from incorrect or non-existant calibration would certainly be much higher...Even random error from an "untrained" users or interference would be much higher than 6%...

As Mac said, the Dorian system would measure AVERAGE speed, not instantaneous speed, which is the one you want to measure for SAFETY!

...and exactly how did the teams measure the speed of a sliding car??? I suppose their data also shows them doing 100 leaving the pit bay (as the wheels spin)

A tree doing 41km/h in pit lane Now I have heard everything...