View Single Post
Old 16 Aug 2005, 01:32 (Ref:1383234)   #20
lcfp2297
Racer

Australia
lcfp2297 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinwebbers
I think you will find that it is quite possible for a radar gun to measure speed on a supposdly stationary object.

I know its opening up a can of worms but surely the IPO could allow 10% for error. It seems most of these guys are attempting to comply with the rules and I think the difference between 40 and 44 kmh in the pit lane as a safety issue doesnt rank along side the way these guys 'race' around the track under safety car conditions to catch up to the back of the pack. ala. Todd Kelly earlier in the year.
Granted, but to get exactly 41 km/h on a stationary object is a little too coincidental...

OK, so we change the rules to say 40km/h, but you will nott be penalised until 44...so all the teams set the speedlimiter to 43.9 and we have a hole in the bucket dear 'liza...

Or we say that they can go up to 44km/h in the first and last 10 m of pit lane, so drivers brake later, speed up sooner...and we have a hole in the bucket...

You set the upper limit, and police it...You set the exact point and police it...

The drivers could lower the risk of a drive through by slowing down sooner, or speeding up later...

Then again, the teams could also set the speed limiter lower...

But no, lets maximise risk for a few milli-seconds that only has a flow on effect in one or two races per year...

...and if 44 is OK, why not 48? It's like the Vic wipe off five campaign, eventually your stationary...

Cheers