Thread: LM24 Race Truth In 24 II
View Single Post
Old 28 Apr 2012, 17:05 (Ref:3066613)   #93
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Can't believe I'm actually hearing people complain about TI24. As people have said, the very fact Audi spent money to make the film should be applauded.
Oh come on, don't act like they do it because they're nice people. They're getting their moneys worth from the movie in terms of PR, that's why they spend the money.

The first movie did barely anything to explain Le Mans as a whole. It didn't touch on the history, it didn't bother to show the other competitors, all we saw was how awesome Audi was.

People who don't know anything about Le Mans are not wiser after watching it, Audi has the great chance to really educate a big audience about Le Mans but they don't... instead they focus on promoting their own efforts and that's it.

Nothing's wrong with that in the same way that nothing's wrong with commercials. But people shouldn't act like they're selflessly doing a service to anybody with these movies... if they really would want to promote sports car racing and Le Mans as a whole these movies would look a lot differently.

What kind of special access would have been required to at least shortly touch on the race in the other classes? They had cameras around the track and access like every other media outlet, I hardly think that the ACO forbid them to cover the race more in-depth.

Same goes for some history stuff, they could have shown some old footage, give a rundown of past winners etc. That would have made it a documentary instead of a commercial. But viewers were purposely left in the dark about anything not related to Audi because it could have hurted the narrative that Audi is the greatest manufacturer ever to race at Le Mans. One would think that after ten years of domination at Le Mans, Audi would not feel threatened and be able to comfortably give others the coverage they deserve... but apparently that's not the case.

I had really high hopes for the first one after seeing the trailer as it was packed with all kinds of racing footage. The final result was disappointing, I didn't expect a propaganda piece.

Last edited by Acid09; 28 Apr 2012 at 17:12.