View Single Post
Old 11 Aug 2014, 20:04 (Ref:3443548)   #11
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Yes, maybe awry over the last decade, perhaps absolute power corrupting to a degree, although when you get so successful you cant always see the wood for the trees.

You are so close and involved inside the operation you become immune to or blind to what people see from the outside, and success can also blind you to an objective view, to see things as others see them.
The last few years are the problem for me. He definitely started out as a good guy in my mind.

I've always felt the (financial) returns of the sport should go to the people with gasoline running in their veins. The team owners, the drivers. To a lesser degree, even the track owners. Somebody owns a track because they have an interest in the sport. Tracks aren't big money makers, and they could own something else (and always do), but they own a track because they have a connection to the sport.

I don't think a big chunk of the returns of the sport should go to people who would just as well invest in pharma or something else. People for whom it is simply an investment.

That's what caused the "show" to take precedence over everything. In the old days, racers could show up at the track with something on their car nobody else has, and a big grin. Sometimes the competitors could immediately see what it was, other times they could see only the lap times and try to figure out what it was. That was what made racing fun.

Bernie squished the fun out of it.