Thread: A1gp 2006/07
View Single Post
Old 18 Mar 2006, 18:16 (Ref:1552014)   #44
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Just a shame the race is taking place at Brands Hatch though, Donnington's GP layout or Silverstone's GP circuit would be much better. IMO.
Personally I think it's great that A1GP races at Brands. My abiding memory of last year was being in the forest on the GP loop watching the A1GP and TGP practice sessions in the rain. It was like travelling back in time to a different era. The place has atmosphere, history and character by the bucketloads, something I see less of in Donington or Silverstone. And the size of the crowds on raceday was very impressive (I don't think there was much else on the national calendar that weekend actually, BSB aside).

Having a series of A1GP's level at Brands adds much needed variety to the national scene IMO - Silverstone and Donington are already have a monopoly on top-line single-seater racing (F1, GP2, Grand Prix Masters, World Series by Renault, Euroseries 3000...) If it was the Brands Indy circuit being used my opinion would be different (witness the 2003 Champ Car race), but the GP circuit is a true classic, and one of the better tracks on the A1GP calendar. Last year didn't see as much overtaking as we've come to expect from later races, so maybe Donington or Silverstone might provide more opportunities. But I'm still glad to see it at Brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Though A1 certainly is beginning to encroach on the season proper which is a problem
Agree entirely.

With the next Brands round moved to April 2007, I'm kind of worried that (as foxy mole suggested) it could be something of an anti-climax. Anyone bound for GP2 etc will have probably abandoned the series by then, so we may see one of the weakest fields of the year.