Old 17 Sep 2012, 13:11 (Ref:3137224)   #19
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by REALIST View Post
Where do you get £30k from. It's £30k + VAT plus an engine for at least £5k + VAT each season. A few sets of rims and tyres and it's £45 k minimum and you'll at least double that running the car.

I wonder how many will fall for it?
I am little confused here - you pay for your engines on a annual or mileage basis - roughly a pound a mile - which seems bang in line with other formulas in terms of rebuild costs - except you don't have to go and buy an engine. Someone on here will remind me what FF Duratec leases cost per year - but I think about £8-9k pa from memory. So seems OK on that count.

Chassis cost £30k complete (ie dampers/loggers etc) - which looks approx same as the Duratec chassis were before you added dampers, loggers etc etc. The current FF cars are just way to much money...

I suspect the wheels will be as per current OZ prices - £200 a wheel approx - you will need 3 spare sets roughly - so about £2500 there. From what I have been told about spares - they will be similar to national FF prices - but obv things like front / rear wings are not carbon fibre and thus be cheaper to replace than the FRen carbon ones.

We know from FF Duratec/Sports 2000 the engines are bulletproof and lightweight so the cars will handle properly (unlike the FF Zetec cars). Tyres currently used in F4 (also Yokos) are about £550 inc carriage and VAT...and front what I am told, are very consistant over a long period of say 3-4 races.

So I don't really see what people are "going to fall for.."? This seems a sensible proposal for newcomers and hobby racers alike - as a hobby racer, I would prefer to own an engine - but that is just me being panickity..

I raced FF in the early 1990s - a new roller was approximately the price of a hot hatch road car - this formula looks a million times better and will be a little bit more than the current price of say a Golf GTI etc etc so on an "affordability" basis, it looks spot on. No-one complained in the 1980s/1990s about the comparitive price of FF, they just bought them and got involved.

We all wish we could race for little or no cash - but that is not just going to happen - racing is expensive, period. This looks an affordable formula that racers can get into on simlar money to a Super1 karting budget and be successful. Whether the MSV prizes/promotions will tempt any BARC Teams away is anyone's guess - but if this does take off - it would make the basis of a perfect one circuit championship for some of us more experienced racers..