View Single Post
Old 1 Jan 2003, 09:21 (Ref:461456)   #12
malcolmstrachan
Rookie

malcolmstrachan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1 bar is equivalent to atmospheric pressure, so about 14.7 psi.

Also, although champ cars may only run 16 psi of boost, consider that they may be running very high compression ratios. I don't know the proper math, but as an estimate, if champ cars run 16 psi of boost, with a 12:1 compression ratio, it would be like having an engine with a 8:1 compression ratio have like 40 psi (just a guess... my rudimentry math method came out with 24 psi... not what I believe is close to correct...).

I know that F1 cars in the height of the turbo era were running about 80 psi boost during qualifying... Those were the one-lap wonders of engines... I can't even imagine 80 psi of boost...

I think that current champ cars use revs and compression more for power than they do turbo boost. I think with the spec engine they have now, they should reduce compression a bit, reduce revs, beef up the engine a bit, and run more boost on the road courses (obviously less on the ovals). Have it so the bhp on a road course is around 900, but the bhp on an oval would be like 700. With turbos it is very easy to do...