View Single Post
Old 12 Jan 2012, 17:27 (Ref:3010795)   #119
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the GRC is great if it promotes the sport of rallycross, but there is a danger that its going to damage other series. There does appear to be a fashion for sidelining Europe in motorsport at the moment, particularly in the case of the FIA championships. A lot of this is is for economic reasons, but I think it is a slightly dangerous stratergy as the fan bases for a lot of motor sport series are largely European. Europe's economy will recover and be a force again but its going to take a good few years and it won't be as strong as in the past.

The GRC is slightly different and not sidelining Europe directly, but I'd really for once like to see people working together rather than against one another. I'm not suggesting the GRC is working against people but there is a danger the GRC and ERC will start fighting one another. We see it so often in motor sport at all levels and ultimatley it weakens the sport. I'm thinking IRL/Champ Car, BRC/ROC and what seems to be happening with the new WEC and ALMS.

Maybe we'll see everybody working together and we'll have drivers from North America doing a more appropriatley named American Series plus the GRC/X Games and European drivers doing ERC plus the GRC/X Games. Time will tell and I shall try and remain optimistic. From a purely selfish point of view ESPN is too niche in the UK, any chance of some highlights? Motors TV maybe?