View Single Post
Old 11 Jul 2005, 10:28 (Ref:1352408)   #8
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, well, well, what a wonderful squirt of news.

Things have been simmering along nicely here since mid-April when a company was set up called Capital Street Race Management Limited. Dean Calvert was nudged by IMG, wrongly it seems, and is a hugely passionate enthusiast of the V8 Supercar Series. Dean is, after all, the visionary who proposed that IMG and Auckland City Events put on a street race spectacle similar to what happens in Adelaide and on the Gold Coast.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't take too much notice of this, until today.......

It seems that Mr Sinton and his team have hit a wee snag with respect to the Resource Management Act and other political drama and red tape that helps hold New Zealand back. Both Frank and Paul Radisich have had involvement with Mr Sinton's Whenuapai plans, I am reliably told.

........Today I got a call about the story in the NZ Herald about the V8 SUpercar announcement set down for tomorrow at Sky City. Hmmm.....Pukekohe again seems logical, then where??
Logical thought would say that Pukekohe will happen again next year for "The Final Hurrah". 2007 would it seem logically be a toss-up between Whenuapai and the proposed new circuit of Hampton Downs....which would also be able to host a round of the A1 GP Championship, of which Colin Giltrap is the NZ franchise holder (as far as can be determined - some of the stories around the A1 GP and ownership of various franchises are pretty patchy/scary/leave you wondering).

And then a Red Herring.......a quick spy of the NZ Companies website revealed that on Friday the 8th of July, Capital Street Race Management Limited had a Share Parcel Change. You would have to wonder if this was done to coincide with the said Press Conference tomorrow night.

Dean Calvert, Colin Giltrap, Klaus Sorenson, and Iain Morrison are the shareholders, with Dean having the majority. Dean, Klaus, and Iain have all been involved with the Auckland and/or Wellington Street Race bids, with Klaus heading up the Auckland City V8 Supercar Street Race Supporters Club.

There just has to be, by gut feeling or irony, something in this.

Tomorrow morning will reveal all, without doubt. The surprise could be extremely interesting and exciting indeed for the future of V8 Supercars in New Zealand.

And one thing is for sure.... I can't wait!!!!!