View Single Post
Old 7 May 2001, 21:21 (Ref:89987)   #20
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
TOCA held a brief press conference about this on Monday. Unfortunely I missed the first part but the basic idea was that the one thing everyone has been complaining about was the BTCT sprint and whilst this isn't a long term solution it was clear that something needed to be done. Things like reverse grids were considered but never seriously. The Production teams I spoke to said that they agreed to it for the best interests of the series as a whole, and hoped it would mean them getting more coverage into the bargain.

One thing which threw me at first was the rules if a safety car is called out. Instead of picking up the leading Tourer it will pick up the leading Production car. Why, well because at that point the Production field is actually in the lead. Confused? Well although the Tourers and Productions have both done the same number of laps the Productions have one less lap to do so are closer to the end of the race. Think about it, it took me a minute as well.

Another point of interest - the extra BMW Challenge race. The series organiser was telephone on Tuesday and asked to put a race together for Monday. 21 cars in less than a week is pretty impressive.