View Single Post
Old 23 Sep 2010, 07:42 (Ref:2763379)   #17
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
As for the four Group A cars at Sandown, I think their history are quite well known:

#77 Peter Willimson Toyota Celica Supra: ex Hughes of Beaconsfield/Toyota GB car raced by Win Percy during 1983 and part through 1984 (don't know if this car was the 24h Spa-Francorchamps car?), before being bought by Williamson and air freighted to Australia for the Sandown race.

#70 Network Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5: Group E production car raced by Colin Bond. Rebuild to group A specification by Autodelta (in Italy, or from parts flown out to Australia?).

#64 Capri Components Ford Mustang '85-model: Brand new car imported from the states and build to "intended 1985 ATCC Group A regulations" by owner and driver Lawrie Nelson. The car was far from ready at Sandown and rested for the race in favour of his Capri.
BTW what is his name? Lawrie or Laurie Nelson, as I have seen both.

#65 Hulcraft Autos Ford Capri 3.0S Mk. III: Don't know the story of this car, but I would think this was the Group C car of John Craft rebuild to Group A specification.
Somehow I think that the ABC transmission from the race, it's said to be a Group C car, so can anyone confirm weather the Hulcraft car was running as Group A or C at Sandown? It was classified as a Group A car three weeks later at Bathurst.

Jesper
Slightly off-topic until we get to the 1985 thread, but apart from those early Group A cars mentioned, and the Capris that were converted from Group C, there were probably a couple of other cars in the Sandown entry that would go on to race in Group A form in 1985- a few of the early Group A Commodores in 1985 had Group C origins.

According to the 1985 Bathurst book I've got in front of me, Warren Cullen's spare car there was his 1984 Bathurst mount converted to Group A, and the Tony Kavich car was originally Grice's 1984 Bathurst car.

Were these the same chassis that Cullen and Grice had used at Sandown?