View Single Post
Old 30 Mar 2017, 14:54 (Ref:3722620)   #155
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wnut the original layout would have been much too fast, if the full length of Aughtie Drive was used. The aerial shot shows where it originally ran, 'behind' the pits. The road was moved and the layout of the sports ovals changed to accommodate the GP track, including increasing the lap length, at the (minor) cost of reducing the usefulness of Aughtie Drive as a thoroughfare.

The second change at turn 3/4/5 I think was due to building and road change that probably occurred in the 60s, while the last significant change is the lack of the left-right jink after turn 12. You can see where the road diverts to join Queens Rd which runs alongside the park; I expect that in the 50s the road the current track uses did not exist, and obviously using Queens Rd would massively inconvenience regular traffic.

The aerial view also shows how the corners on Lakeside Drive, 9/10 & 11/12, are extended and tightened for the GP circuit to slow them compared to the original circuit and current road configuration which would be ridiculously fast otherwise.

I think the current circuit better suits the current cars overall.