View Single Post
Old 31 Jan 2006, 13:56 (Ref:1512727)   #23
Dobbo89
Rookie

Australia
Mayfield
Dobbo89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it encouraged Mazda to build the SP version of their RX7, and to make enough road going versions to take the fight up to the 911 Porshes that were introduced for the 1995 event.
dont quote me on the name, as arbd (alcohol related brain damage) has got to me, but I thought it was mr Alan Horsely that told mazda australia that 9/11 was coming (that was a really bad joke) and that he got the go ahead to throw some carbon fibre at some sluggish selling RX7's

The BMW M3R was also a product of the 12hour race, An Australian built version of the M3 with a bigger fuel tank etc for enduro racing. The car didnt run in the race when it was announced Mt Panorama would not be used for the 1995 event.
that was meant for european events, just like the mid-engined v8 that paul morris drove in the last 24hr bathurst race

Volvos 850 T5R was an Aussie version of the 850R, with rear wing and front airdam and a few other mods, it was a real attempt by the Swedish Marque to get class results at the 12Hour.
remember the 750 turbo of the 80's, the ad showed John Bowe flogging the poor thing around oran park having said that, jum signed my shirt the year that won the starter motor class

The main thing that killed the event was that the Mt Panorama circuit was not able to be used any longer for the event... something to do with the laws only allowing 2 complete circuit closures a year. Manufacturer interest, as early as 1992 was very strong, the race had capacity grids at Bathurst from 1992 - 1994. The race was televised live on commercial television on Ch10 in the early morning and all afternoon.

Disinterest? I hardly think so.

The final year of the 12 hour at Eastern Creek televised on SBS was the end of what could of / should of been a great event at the Mountain... but stuff happens I guess.
I loved the eastern creek 12 hour, I could drive my car right up to the fence!
the thing with me and 12 or 24hr races, is that the fellow next to you is a car nut, he doesnt want to just see crashes.

A 12 hour was never going to attract massive crowd of beer drinking yobbos, (see above) it attracted semi - manufacturer supported teams and racing fans. As for promotion, they didnt have an Avesco budget, Channel 10 did a very respectable job with the telecast. It is one of the last major commentries by the late great Evan Green, and very fitting too, that he should be commentating on an endurance race for production based cars, let us not forget he commentated on the 1000km in early days when it was a production based race, and was a veteran of many intercontinental rallies, trials and marathons.

[I]Evan Green was fantastic as a comentator, Alan Jones was better, but I think Barry Sheen was the best. (not that that has to do with anything about the 12/24hr)