View Single Post
Old 22 Apr 2012, 12:16 (Ref:3063601)   #10
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
As ever I think it's about judging the individual in front of you and not the badge.
Was just pointing out the dilemma we had. In short I agree with you and it is what we did in that instance - used a bit of common sense and it worked out just fine. It is also what I do out Bankside with people if needed.

However, if you are not judging the "badge" to some degree then naturally the argument runs "Why bother with the grading scheme at all?"

In the end I think one uses a natural balance of grading, impressions of the person and the situation or context you are in.

The issue in this thread raised by the original poster is why aren't people upgrading? This is an interesting question and has many varied answers as illustrated already, the actual scheme technicalities, the individual's own wishes, and the context in which they marshal.

If one of those (the scheme) could be made simpler and easier but still achieve the goals required of it, which is a reasonable measure and notification of a persons competance, then it is perhaps worth looking at?