Old 18 Jan 2014, 18:47 (Ref:3355673)   #103
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
But for some reason we don't know, Tom Kristensen stayed in DTM for quite a while considering the fact that there is always a seat for him in the LMP.
I guess TK wanted to spend as much time as possible in Europe, because he could have easily done ALMS. Not to mention that he still does WEC/Le Mans, even after quitting DTM.

Quote:
Mind you. The current ITV4 exclusive deal of BTCC is actually killing it simply because ITV is no where near a mainstream TV provider (i.e. Sky, BT sport, BBC) and the current spectator number is second to British superbikes and slightly more than British GT, which doesn't even have a TV deal. I can't get ITV4 in any pub or hotel in England.
At least you can receive the BTCC on free TV. If I recall correctly, DTM is on pay TV in most countries, including the UK.

Quote:
When it comes to this, the situation of DTM isn't that bad. And do remember that the main market of DTM is Germany+eastern europe+anywhere the BBA oligarch want to expand their market. You even have Andy Priaulx's car at BTCC Brands Hatch GP and other rounds this year. Any other touring car series, well apart from WTCC, won't have such international effect.
Then tell me, if the DTM had such a positive effect, why did they withdraw from longtime markets such as the UK or the Netherlands?

Quote:
To me, aero isn't a problem, 2007 and before we saw great races and fantastic drama. I do extremely hate the current budget friendly 2011-spec cars. The broadcast is so boring that every race the presenters just keep talking about the change of rear wing under DRS and report tire changes, pitstops. Who the hell cares about that? Just please invite R&D back, even if you have to borrow ERS-K and ERS-H from F1. As long as it produces drama and overtake, just do it.
I'd be in favour of more development, but I guess that the ITC trauma is still haunting the ITR. Us racing fans are reminded on almost every occasion that cost-cutting is important and so on.
But for the aero: I really want to see less reliance on aero, so drivers from touring cars or GT racing have a better chance than formula drivers, who are naturally used to racing cars with lots of downforce.