Thread: BTCC Capris
View Single Post
Old 27 May 2004, 09:23 (Ref:984855)   #33
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
No worries gfm,

Suppose it's slightly worrying that i can remember that car as i was only 9 or 10 at the time!!

Always been a Capri fan. There was another prodsaloon guy at the time who was an absolute maniac, but extremely entertaining to watch - Sven or Steven Platt i think his name was. Whatever happened to him?

Good memory is of a road 2.0s that my dad had as company car around that time. It was a white one (he got that colour because of the Esso Grp 1 cars i think!)We were on the way to Thruxton on the old A417 (before they made it into a dual carriageway all the way along) for a BTCC meeting, probably the Whitsun bank holiday round in '84. The weather wasn't too good anyway. Basically he made a bit of a faux pas as we came up behind a tanker and what appeared to be only one car in front of it.

However, as we drew alongside the tanker, overtaking it, we both noticed that there were rather more cars to get by than at first indicated. Then to make matters worse an estate car appeasred at a junction on the right and began to pull out towards us! Dad just veered to the right and god knows how but we managed to avoid any major dramas (or written off Capri) by skating into a bus layby just prior to the junction and up into the hedge.

Dad was a bit embarrassed i think but we just looked at each other a bit sheepishly and i said to him:
"should've got a 2.8i instead!"

By the way Rod, interesting to hear about Gordy going to Spa to see one of his old cars. He was one hell of a driver in his day. Wasn't much between him and Vince, both of them were arguably quicker than Andy Rouse at the time and look what he went onto achieve in saloons!!

Also thanks, Peter, i'll have a look at the pics! Just hope Dave eventually gets rid of the flared arches and returns it to original red!