View Single Post
Old 18 Mar 2010, 10:16 (Ref:2654764)   #10
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The one on Racecars Direct looks pretty promising (as long as you are English - what is with the colour scheme!?)

The spec looks right in general, although I'm not sure about the springs. If its got 48DCOE carbs then its probably a 1950cc or more which is bigger than the homologated engine size, but will still get you in plenty of FIA races.

Mine cost £12,500 without papers, but I was lucky in that it was already 'there' in terms of correct spec. The engine is rally spec (torquey, only mildly tuned) so I fully expect to be at the back on the grid this year but it'll do for the time. Point is, it would be ideal for a bit of rallying and racing so I think you could find something if you have the time to wait?

However a 'really' good one will cost between £25 and £30K, a lot of money for an MGB!

Key thing is finding an early 'narrow transmission' body as this will get you to the races you want to do.

I'm sure I saw a narrow body for restoration somewhere for a reasonable sum very recently. This could be the way to go?