View Single Post
Old 18 Feb 2006, 01:40 (Ref:1525459)   #2
Lukin
Racer

Australia
Perth
Lukin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moving the RC height closer to the COG will reduce the roll angle yes. Having the RC at the COG height will mean no chassis roll at all as you pointed out. But it will also change the way the tyre is loaded. For long sweeping corners this can be a problem, but for street circuit's it not always bad, especially as you can run less bar and spring and help your tyre compliance. However, high RC puts biger loads through your suspension components/bushes and will increase tyre wear in most practical cases.

I have to say I don't quite understand what everyone means by roll couple. I've heard a few different definitions so I usually shy away from using that word.

When you say rear RC is fixed, I assume you mean Watt's Link/Panhard Bar? It is changeable if thats the case.

If the rear is rolling more, (assuming that RC/COG ratios for the front and rear are about the same), does the car understeer a bit? What diff do you have?

Increasing your front and rear bars will increase the load transfer and reduce the roll angle. It will also leave you more suseptible to picking up wheels in long radius fast corners (especially with a sedan). That's isn't always a bad thing though. In sedans we usually run a much stiffer front than rear ARB. It's relatively easy to measure with scales.

Depending on your track, tyres etc it's hard to say. When cash is tight making changes to see what happens is hard. Speak to others. Use a little gut instinct I guess.

If you can approximate some of the information required, use the spreadsheet I posted in another thread to quantify everything. It won't say 'yes' or 'no' but help establish equivalencies.