View Single Post
Old 27 Nov 2011, 23:45 (Ref:2992218)   #795
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightLine View Post
Mark interesting reading back through some of your post's

Wasn't it you and the other NZV8 directors that chose to split the V8 class up and run a break away series?

Interesting how you quote that
"the traditional Summer Series is unsustainable in this economic climate"

How will your new ST series be any more sustainable in this economic climate running in months that traditionally have bad weather?

I would have thought splitting the sport up in this economy was only detrimental to motorsport!

It's been asked before what support classes have you got lined up for each event?

I note that round 3 Manfeild April 28/29 is the weekend after the biggest motorsport event in NZ, V8 Supercars in Hamilton. Why would you do that?

Round 5 Taupo August 11/12 It was snowing in Taupo in the same week this year, if it's not snowing it will be guaranteed to be cold horrible weather. How do you expect any sort of crowd to turn up?

ST have done a great job around promoting the the new series on TV3 and with the media. Awesome cars and a driver lineup that has created some good media particularly with Greg Murphy involved! How could you go wrong?

My question to you Mark (amongst the others) is how do you make this work financially?

From what I understand TV production cost for each event to be around 150k

Circuit hire, marketing, event management infrastructure to run each event is between 75k to 100k

Staff wages & operating cost's between 400k and 500k

These are only but a few of the costs that anyone can see

My rough calculation that it's going to take some 2 to 2.5 million dollars to run your new series! With no real sponsors announced and less than a month to Christmas. How is this sustainable in this economic climate?
Or are all the rich guys in the series going to toss money in the pot to make it run?

How ever I look at this it can't be good for motorsport!
interesting debate;
why a major series would be run over the winter months in NZ is beyond me,
anyone out there remember the televised winter f/ford series at manfeild and the televised winter TZ lites series at taupo,and the televised F/ford festival at taupo during the nineties-all organised by chris Aboott unless im mistaken,
i was involved in all 3 series and they all failed.
you can have as much TV as you like but circuits etc need CASH to survive and operate and i cant see Hampton downs being in a financial position to absorb the cost's in having their events as part of the series.

i gotta agree that TMC are their own worst enemies,but at least they are somewhat under the motorsport nz umbrella .

What is going to happen with the V8ST series when the head guys start to fall out over direction/cost/race formats etc.
nobody can convince me that messrs Petch/pederson/anderson/radisich/abbott/mcintyre etc are going to live happily ever after in this series.
and thats without Murf having any issues and sounding off !!!
They dont seem to have anybody higher up to step in an say 'whoa lads, lets sort this all out".

Mind you,MNZ haven't really fronted with the NZV8 split debacle yet either.

Biggest loser will be first the tracks who wont make the gate that they need,then competitors who aren't at the front and get no coverage,
then support classes racing in the cold in front of moderate crowds being scheduled when suits the V8ST organiser's.The novelty soon wears off believe me.

ultimately motorsport as a whole suffers.
Your average enthusiast and weekend spectator dont know the politics and the forums etc ,they just like their V8's or muscle cars or whatever.

And lets not forget that the sport is partly in a financial slump,
anyone had a good look at mylaps and checked out Karting--speedway--club racing etc.fields in general are down across the board at present.

a couple of things you can bet on though;

V8ST are going to look and sound great with top drivers (in the front half anyway).
and NZV8 are going to re vitalise in 12 or so months with a bit more affordable but pretty much same looking cars.

and in 5 years time MNZ will still be running motorsport in this country.