View Single Post
Old 1 Jun 2015, 23:41 (Ref:3544023)   #149
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukej View Post
I think what many are trying to say is that any customer car plan would need to be coupled with greater stability in the rules.
Indeed. Changing rules every year is the exact opposite of cost cuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukej View Post
I think the reality is that there need to be two discussions on this for F1.

Firstly I think it needs to be asked simply "Do we want to allow customer cars in F1?".

The second question is something that requires far more thought, being "How will we implement and regulate customer car provision in F1?".
I'd make three questions:

What do fans want?

What do manufacturers / teams want?

What can be done?

Each fan wants something different. Personally, I want more teams and closer competition, while keeping technological development. I think that customer cars would help.

Now, big manufacturers like Ferrari, McLaren and Mercedes want to keep at the front. Their customer cars would never be equal. Now, if they are too bad, small teams would switch to another customer car or leave. Therefore, grids would shrink and they will lose rivals and customer sales. Manufacturers should be wise no to do that.

But some small teams don't want to buy customer cars. Great: they can be small manufacturers. Sauber and Force India are afraid that another team will beat them with a customer team. But then they should also be afraid of getting beaten by another small manufacturer. What's the difference?