View Single Post
Old 21 Mar 2014, 20:35 (Ref:3382775)   #24
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
Yes, I think this building remained until the new pits were built. It was used for the official timing and laps counting before the introduction of electronic timing devices. Both electronic and manual timing were used together for several years, if I recall correctly.
While teams timing was taking place just after Mulsanne corner.
Simon, do you confirm ?

My first trip was 1980, so remember the signalling pits at Mulsanne. I thought that actual timing was done at the pit lane and transmitted to the signalling pit for display when the car got that far round the track. At that time I remember that commentary was over the tannoy \(No Radio Le Mans then)and in French, with an hourly update in English. You could tell the English as they would be gathered round the tannoy at each update time. I do remember the lists given away in the village, the local papers used to make big deal about having the photo of the start as a poster.

One thing I need to do is get my slides down from the attic, scan them and upload them to somewhere accessible, no point in them being hidden when they are now historic. Fortunately a friend recently passed on to me a scanner which an handle 35mm slides. Might be something for Aysedasi's historic section ? Probably not too easy to have a slide show at the meeting

Sean