View Single Post
Old 28 Jan 2012, 04:32 (Ref:3018034)   #748
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Let's be civil about it!
The prodies are copping unwarranted criticism from both ends.
From the fat cats who can afford to run a GT3 car out of their own budget, and those that are payed well to support and prepare their exotic gear.
On the other hand they are being criticised by those that can just about afford the price of an addmission ticket and a site in the camping area.
(Like me)
The organiser have decided that more blokes like me will turn up if they have some glamourous and exotic cars running. Promoters decision and they could be right. Even for a live feed, TV or highlights package the coverage will concentrate on those glamourous cars.
The prodies are mostly blokes at a less exotic level of business. They need some sponsorship, or at least a guarantee that they gt enough exposure for their own business to justify the outlay. If they aren't the most glamourous cars out there, or they aren't running for outright, they won't get it. Simple economic decision, don't enter.
So don't abuse them, sympathise.
The concept of the race as a showroom event was destroyed by the lack of interest by manufacturers, importers and big dealers. The organisers made their decision based on how they could attract spectator and media interest. It's done, but one hopes that the new concept isn't destroyed by the people it most benefits, Australian GT, running off to play second fiddle in the V8SC band.
Meanwhile I'm looking forward to being there this year.
By the way are the GT owners who are not entered because they are saving the machinery fr Clipsal "sooking it?".
I still disagree.

When it was just proddies, you got minimal tv, and maybe live streaming...

now with GTs, you get a better coverage/exposure.

Sure, they won't get the same % of air time as if GTs weren't there...

but they're getting a % of a much greater audience... net effect, potentially greater exposure.....

after two beers, they'll all admit to not going 'cos they can't win.

And you already know your final comment was not worth the edit!

Oh, and the showroom event idealology still stands, GT3 cars are still closely based on showroom cars, with the notable exception of the Mosler.

The Ferrari in particular is VERY road car underneath, even the engine is absolutely stock standard from a road car with only minimal mods to the timing chain tensioners.