View Single Post
Old 21 Feb 2013, 13:22 (Ref:3208550)   #17
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh, that's all fair.

Actually, what I usually do with smaller stuff is list with a starting price of the very least I would take for it and say "no reserve" in big letters. I've rarely not sold things and usually get quite decent prices. I take your point about a really low starting price getting the bidders excited. I was brave and did that with a GoPro Hero2 which did actually go on the make good money. With something this big though, I wouldn't want it to go too cheap. I mean I could get more than £1k if I sold the juicy bits and scrapped the rest!

So that would suggest using a reserve price, but personally I'm usually put off bidding on listings with a reserve. To me a low starting price and "reserve not met" isn't really a low starting price at all because it can't be bought for that. Just artificial way of making it look cheap. Not a fan.

So, how about about a Fixed Price listing with a "make me an offer" option? Its a free option and final value fees are based on actual selling price so doesn't matter what the starting price is. I could go for something quite big like £8000 and if someone has a punt at half that I'd still get the money I was after.