View Single Post
Old 11 Apr 2014, 20:16 (Ref:3391258)   #92
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Miatanut do you know of an actively suspended road car?
My dad's E Class. I will confess I don't know exactly what it does and doesn't do, and I'm sure it's not equal to Colin Chapman's but I'm equally sure it is a lot more similar to Colin Chapman's than the early 1960's Citroen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut;3390964 [IMG
http://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/1963_Oldsmobile_F85_Jet_Fire_V8_Turbo_Engine_1.jpg[/IMG]

Oldsmobile Jetfire 1962.

Years before any racing use!
Yup. After planes and trucks had it, and it was a dud. After they got turbocharging worked out at Indy and even more so in CanAm, it became something widely used on road cars.
Quote:
Active diffs were developed by rally cars, who were working on real saloons and real world tracks. Not cars running around in super smooth open parking lots.
These days I would say rally racing is what's left of real racing, because they use real, road-going unibodies and drive on real roads, not billiard table smooth closed circuits.
Quote:
Gives credence to Casper's argument!

What is F1 actually about?
To me it is about the racing, and development is incidental, but I really wonder sometimes!
I agree. In all classes racing has been dumbed-down to spec racing entertainment.

To me, an activity which is so wasteful as racing is, is immoral if it's just about entertainment. If it's serving a greater good in advancing knowledge and technical development, then there is a place for it and it can be entertaining even as it's advancing knowledge.