View Single Post
Old 22 Oct 2013, 14:21 (Ref:3321653)   #33
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i would be curious to know what rights to a bought chassis a customer team would have. would they own it or would it be a rental?

there is an underlying premise here that there are teams who cannot afford to compete in F1 as it is so if they were able to get their hands on a customer chassis for a fraction of the cost the sport would then be affordable for them.

however i believe it is a stretch to think that along with the chassis a team, Ferrari for example, would also sell the intellectual property right to said chassis.

so for a small or new entrant to run a customer car team along side a development program aimed at building their own chassis one day they would have to have enough money to presumably run two parallel f1 development programs, so two independent teams, if they ever hoped to become a constructor in their own right. (of course that begs the question if they have that kind on money why even bother with a customer car program?)

would a team like Ferrari, just using them as an example again, ever allow a one of their customer teams to become a constructor in their own right and if they did how much would Ferrari make it cost them? not only would Ferrari lose a contract if that happened they would be throwing away an insanely huge amount of R&D out the window with it. since teams are so clever what would stop RB from buying Ferrari's customer team and just appropriating Ferrari's designs?

at this time (obviously we are far from this happening) but i just dont see how a customer team would be anything other than a glorified surrogate of a bigger team.

but classic F1, all the small fish have been eaten so they are going to start a fish farm to grow some more.