View Single Post
Old 16 Oct 2002, 10:17 (Ref:405549)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grand Prix 4 ... Why didn't they call it Grand Prix 2.5?

I got hold of GP4 just before, and have installed it, and while it's a decent game, and I'll play it for a while, I still do not think enough progress has been made since Grand Prix 2. Don't get me wrong...it's not abysmal, infact it's certainly one of the better games out there, but so many elements of Grand Prix 2 still remain in tact.

The graphics engine still uses the ANCIENT slow mo processor occupancy style, this is just not on, and has been long phased out. Why GP4 holds onto something developed in 1995 (!) is beyond me. My PC is a fairly modest system (AMD 1.4Ghz, 64mb Kyro II, 256Mb SDRAM), and could run the F1 2002 demo at a solid 25-45 fps on 1280x960 res with no dropped frames, and the graphics set highest. GP4 forces me to race at 25fps, with medium detail, a low resolution, and low textures. And still at a high processor occupancy! Time to move on!

The damage model is still very disappointing, it's quite sad that GPL from 1998 still sets the standard for accidents. Certainly, some progress has been made since GP3, but the bent monocoque still looks dodgy.

The replay system/camera system is still fundamentally unchanged as well. Also, just like GP3 we still have the one superhuman marshall who can hurl a car over the fence. Where are the stop go penalties? Am I correct in saying they havent been enforced yet?

Overall, I like GP4, but it's a shadow of what it COULD have been. I can't rate it any more than 7/10.

I would like to hear your opinions. I still need to fiddle around and tweak the game, and I am sure the playability will increase, but I am disappointed enough to write this up.