View Single Post
Old 14 Sep 2005, 02:03 (Ref:1407218)   #22
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky
The overflow bottle is hermetically sealed so there aren't any spillovers. In fact, during the last overheating scenario I checked both the bottle and hoses and found no leaks or humidity anywhere. Also, the water level in the bottle was the same as it was when the engine was cold.
That doesn't sound right. What good is an expansion tank that coolant can not expand into? Maybe that is the cause of your overpressure. The tank should be vented to the atmosphere. Perhaps it has the wrong cap?
Quote:
Also, I live at 2600 meters above sea level.
That would put the boiling point at ~85°c. Maybe you do have a completely pressurized system. If that is the case, I have no other answers.
Quote:
I once thought that the overheating happened because I was traveling from lower altitudes (and hence, hotter regions) but the last time I got overheating at 2800 meters above sea level and a considerably cool atmospheric temperature.
But it hasn't overheated, has it? The coolant level was indicated as `low'.
Quote:
As for the anti freeze I've used several brands (including havoline Dex Cool if I'm not mistaken) as well as plain water (freezing is not much of a concern here as the temperature in the morning rarely goes below -5°C). No difference there.
Except for the heat transfer ability.
Quote:
I guess a partially open thermostat could explain could explain all the symptoms as it could be open enough to allow enough flow to cool during low/medium load situations but it could actually restrict the extra flow needed during high load conditions.

Although I'm starting to think that my mechanic was right and the gasket is damaged. Oh dear

The thing about this problem is not so much that it hampers my every day commute (as it doesn't) but that it is so frustrating. I rarely take the car out on the road but every time I take it I sweat bullets during the whole trip just waiting for the warning light to go on.
That is what the pressure test will prove.