View Single Post
Old 11 Aug 2013, 19:58 (Ref:3288451)   #1342
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
I've long bought into the view that Henri was a great racer but less impressive on the business side, but when you break it down does this really hold water as an argument?

He managed to survive the loss of the Elf La Filiere programme, and then the Peugeot pull out without necessarily any really ill effects, and it was only with the Bouchut affair in 2006 and the resulting departure of Matmut that caused issues - leading to the Sora tie up - which had the sort of bad results I think we all know about. So - mistake one, hacking off a key sponsor at an important time.

I'm reluctant to cast any aspersions about the failure to insure the 908 - when we scratch beneath the surface I wonder how many prototypes are carrying fully comprehensive policies in June.

The Luxury engagement last year I'd chalk up as mistake number 2 - which led him down the path of thinking the 03 was a valid project, being fatally delayed, and the second collapse of the team.

Outside of that however has there been a real failing on the business side that's out of the ordinary in terms of others in the prototype ranks over the last 10 years?