View Single Post
Old 14 Jun 2010, 11:05 (Ref:2711803)   #839
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
Thanks for your insight, there is a lot for me to learn on the subject.

It reads like we are in agreement about Dallara, however.

As for Lola, quoting Steve Charsley of Lola North America:

"The next item is affordability. Because of the economic climate we have to work to a budget and that means it still has to be a single-make series. We would love to have two or three manufacturers out there but that would escalate costs. It would be great for competition and great for us. We'd love it, but if they want to keep to a budget it's not going to work."

Lola Managing Director Robin Brundle:

"The safety-related design work will be done at Huntingdon in England because that's where our technical facility is located," Brundle added. "Things like the safety cell and crash structures will be designed and manufactured in the UK initially. The first two or three cars will also be built in the UK and we will then go into the American process."

Now that I read this again, I might have stepped on my d*ck. I was under the impression that much of the component manufacturing and assembly was slated for the U.S., not all of it. Looks like I got that wrong.
The way I read the section on safety-related design work, is as they say. Initially it will all be done in the UK. Then after they've built and done all the relevant tests with the first 2 or 3 cars in the UK, then the manufacturing process is taken over by their facility in the US.

Unfortunately Steve Charsley is right but I hope ICONIC have enough forsight to allow other manufacturers to get involved, when and if the economic climate improves.

As for Dallara, their most pressing problem will be the Eurozone. I said in the previous post the Italian economy is in not much better shape than Greece but Spain, Portugal and Ireland are all in equally bad shape, with massive debts. If another situation like that in Greece were to arise, in one of those other countries, I don't think France and definitely not Germany would be able to rush in and bail them out.

Another thing, with a weak Euro, it's going to cost Dallara more to setup their factory in the US. Combine that with the potential of another Greek type situation occuring and their could be a part built factory or none at all.