Thread: Multi 21 Ricciardo vs Vettel 2014
View Single Post
Old 30 Jul 2014, 10:39 (Ref:3440082)   #423
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
All very well, but you're talking Vettel and Mark Webber. I don't think anyone disagrees that Vettel had the upper-hand against Webber overall, but not at all times. Webber wasn't one of the elite drivers such as Alonso or Hamilton, but his number of wins and great performances showed just how much better the Red Bull was during those 4 years.
I didn't get all carried away with the 4-times World Champion driver thing, mainly because of best car and best team, but also because I just plain didn't (and don't still) like Vettel, nor did I like the spoilt-brat air he had about him which was made worse by the team favourtism towards him.
World Champion driver doesn't mean best driver, World Championship team definitely means best team.

Even though I don't particularly like Vettel, I do appreciate he is a top driver, just not as top as some others. And this year it seems to prove there are a few more "others" just as capable as Vettel.

Based on all the forum posts I have seen by Vettel fans, which essentially imply that Vettel is the best out there, will they accept at the end of the year that driverX (Rosberg or Hamilton) is better than Vettel because driverX is world champion so he must be? (not necessarily my view). Would be a bit ironic for them to say that driverX is only champion because Mercedes had the best car this year, even though that would be true.
We'll never know who the best driver out there is because there's no impartial way of comparing them. What I will say is that if Vettel can bag not one, not two, not three... but four world championships... back to back... in a car that was often not the best out there... with little more than mediocre driving talent... then there's something seriously awry with the F1 world championship and those competing in it. There is of course the possibility, remote in your eyes I appreciate, that he is having great difficulty acclimatizing to the 2014 cars