Thread: Rules Future Rule Changes
View Single Post
Old 11 Apr 2024, 12:11 (Ref:4204618)   #4295
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
I agree with Sainz that it is possible to have active suspension which would help to aleviate the extreme compromise between stable underside aero and ride quality. It's just important to write the regulation such that it's capabilities is well contained and not a pandoras box of performance enhancing avenues.
I would love to see active suspension return. I think it was considered for the next and even current regulations but didn't move forward. I have had a specific idea that I periodically post here on how to address cost and the pandoras box issue you mention.

* Teams must use a spec control unit (similar to ecu rules)
* A fixed/maximum number of sensors and actuators

That would be the core limits. The creativity would exist in software vs hardware. Addition constraints might be...

* spec/homolated sensors, actuators and pump
* segregate active suspension from existing ecu (engine and transmission can't talk to suspension and vice versa)
* fixed number of driver modes (no infinite number of driver settings)
* system can coordinate with any active aero solution

There would also need to be driver wellbeing components of the regulations. Such as preclude cars from being excessively stiff to maintain exact ride height in such a way that drivers are beat to death on bumpy circuits.

Richard