View Single Post
Old 21 Apr 2011, 19:46 (Ref:2867740)   #1254
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
The R18 survived 2 30 hour tests at Sebring--probably the most demanding track on cars that sportscars race at--and the photos that Audi released were from a Paul Ricard test that was probably a 30 hour test, and aside from Monza, Paul Ricard because of that 3/4 of a mile Mistral Straight, is about as close to LM as you're gonna get nowadays with the old Hockenheim GP track being largely gone (a favorite Joest test ground because of it's resemblance to LM).

If the R18 can survived the worst that these two test circuits can throw at it, it'll probably survive LM, but that's not gurentee. Peugeot did 12 30 hour tests last year, but none of their cars finished because of unproven parts being added at the last minute.

As I said, Audi are playing it smart by designing a lightweight car first, as it's easier to add weight than to pare it off.
Testing can only get you so far.
Real racing where you push the cars a bit further is what break them
The 908's last year being a good example of this, as the they all blew when pushing.
ex. the Oreca 908 blew when they told it to run for 3rd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
I don't expect any issues.

You have to see where they are saving weight:
  • monocoque: the single piece is lighter, but also stronger, than 2 pieces glued together -> very positive
  • bodywork: 40 kg weight saving between original and evolution 2 -> maybe only an issue in case of contact with other cars
  • engine: 25% lighter than V10 -> very logical consequence of displacement reduction
  • gearbox: similar to proven solution of Dome S102, which had a carbon fibre casing (see here), Xtrac internals and Zytek EGS (Electrically-assisted Gearshift System)
  • LED headlights -> proven technology in road cars
  • no air-conditioning -> one system less that can fail
Very true, but the gearbox is the part i feel is must vulnerable.
Comparing with the S102, isn't a true comparison, as the Judd V10 produced +500 lb-ft (from Mike's site) where as the Audi V6 will probably produce even more (the R15 V10 produced over 750, accordingly to Wiki), pressuring the gearbox. (Again very much like when Peugeot switched to a new metal in their rods)