View Single Post
Old 18 Apr 2014, 11:15 (Ref:3394349)   #10
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Who is kidding who? A 55db level? What is the ambient noise level in the area?

I was going to Mallory almost since it opened but haven't been for a few years, so has there been a lot of building close to the boundary since my regular visits?

My criticism of UK race days (compared to NZ), is that they seem to be based on the clock and not getting through as many races as possible. (Unless things have changed.) So, if that is still the case, even on race days, there tends to be far more quiet time than noisy time anyway.

If the race days are going to be limited, maybe it would pay to make the most of it and have more actual racing and less hanging about - which will may well suit a lot of people.

If I am out of date here, I sincerely apologise.
There seems to be some politics involved in negotiating the number of operational days for Mallory.

On Wednesday the spectator banking between the esses and the hairpin had what looked like a test installation of some sort of sound barrier (hay bales and large wooden panels).

I suspect that it is not so much the creep of any building activity that is a problem - more likely the change of residents or the changing age of residents. Given how quiet racing most machinery is these days compared to the unsilenced past perhaps public expectations have been reset to an almost impossibly low level. Well, impossibly low until Formula E arrives.

As for scheduling track time ...

Some clubs are especially focused on packing the program and minimum down time. Bike clubs especially, but most of the car clubs as well.

A Live Televised Motors TV event is planned to have very little downtime between races to fit the tight TV schedule.

In most cases if recovery is complete, debris and oil cleared up and the next group of competitors is in place as they will have been warned to be the schedule will move forward. That said most of the events I have attended recently have well scheduled timetables so long as nothing too unpredictable happens. The weather can be a bit of a challenge of course.