Old 7 Mar 2012, 06:22 (Ref:3036336)   #1488
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Silver I thought the idea of the shift from Prodcars to GT3 was to inject an air of glamour.
Not sure that searching the back of used car lots for old high performance cars is where we will get entries that will achieve that purpose no matter what the name is on the badge.
Not quite what i am saying.The reality is that GT3 was ill conceived and premature decison-- it still is staggering along-- but that has only marginal impact on my point.
The 12 Hour is stand alone-- as such-- it would be best served by doing some original thinking. The Nurburgring 24 Hour,Dubai race--were all originally very open regs events and as such got support.Dubai had to build a race from scratch--without a huge local support base.
In Australia -if every event we try and run pitches itself at the top of the market--it will fail-- sooner or later.The runaway success of Sports/GT racing in Australia is the 1 Hour races-- and the most successfull race is Phillip Island which has open inclusory approach-- there are a lot of other examples--I am trying to stay brief.
Another issue that I see is this-- from Cams to promoters-where is the attempt to contact the people who can help them?
The costs of doing the race have already been mentioned-- people will find the money if the concept gets them excited.Good cars will come when the race looks like a race. Factory race supported teams will not keep coming to a demonstration run . Nurburgring has massive sized entry list-- and it is the variety that helps make the entertainment.