View Single Post
Old 6 Mar 2008, 04:57 (Ref:2145379)   #21
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It sounds like you have a similar system over there to what we have – it varies state by state but in Victoria you can get a Learner’s Permit (theory test) at age 16, and can drive accompanied by a fully-licenced driver. At age 18 you can get a Provisional Licence, you must have had your L’s for at least 12 mths and also I think logbooked a certain number of hours practice (introduced since I did it). After 3 years the provisional licence becomes a full licence, unless you lose it for some reason before then.

I did a course straight after getting my learner’s, although I had driven a bit on farms including a 14 ton truck. I think it is a good idea, it introduced you to just about everything (in an off-road training centre, one of the benefits of being in a country area) and then do lots of practice. I drove at every opportunity (ie whenever I was going anywhere), and when approaching my 18th I had a couple of lessons to brush up on finer points and make sure I was doing the right thing for the test.