Thread: Lola T222
View Single Post
Old 26 Jul 2011, 01:57 (Ref:2931158)   #24
ssperka
Rookie

United States
NC, USA
ssperka should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 2 Lola T220s were build at the Slough plant. Thus, they use SL-prefix chassis numbers. They were built in 1970. The move to the Huntingdon plant was in late 1970. The T222 versions, we'll call them customer cars, were all built at Huntingdon and are the HU-series cars. A careful search of the Lola Heritage site will show a room full of T222 cars being simultaneously constructed, the production run. I would put a linkin her to it, but I can't currently locate it, but have seen it there. The first T220, I'll call it SL220-1, was crashed and totalled at Road Atlanta (not Donnybrooke) on Sept. 13, 1970. It was replaced with the longer wheel-based version, SL220-2(?), which was first raced at Donnybrooke. All driving up to this point was done for Carl Haas by Peter Revson. The T222 customer cars seem to have resumed numbering at -03, but with the appropriate HU for Huntingdon preceding the sequential number. After Haas was finished with T220-2, it was sold to Jerry Hansen, the to Dan Kampo for 1973 and early 1974, and then back to Jerry Hansen. I thing the ownership post-Hansen is pretty clear, so I'll stop there. The most distinctive visual cues distinguishing the T220 from the T222 are the aforementioned fairings extending from the roll bar back to the wing uprights on each side. The other is small air intakes directly in front of the front wheels on each side. These vents were not present on the T222s. The car in the Rosso Bianco collection "appears" to be the T220-2 car as it doesn't have the fairings and does have the vents in the nose. This site http://www.geocities.ws/lolahistory/...mares.htm#Hu02 contains numerous errors, particularly relating to the T220s. The first car box is T220-1. As I previously noted, the first T220 "died" at Road Atlanta, not Donnybrooke, as stated in that box. The bottom 3 boxes are all the same car, T220-2, which is apparently (based on appearances, only) the Rosso Bianco "T222". Dan Kampo is a childhood friend of mine and I have been a fan and student of this series of Lola for years. Here is a photo of me in Dan's car, T220-2, at the 1973 Runoffs, where Dan finished 3rd in the ASR race. http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-11-04-074.jpg
There are a couple of previous posts of ownership recaps with T222s being owned in 1970. That would not be possible as they were built in 1971 and after the move to Huntingdon (late 1970). All 1970 ownership of T220s was by Carl Haas, only.