Thread: HSCC Donington
View Single Post
Old 7 Apr 2014, 15:31 (Ref:3389790)   #30
bigvalveelan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Gaunts Common, Wimborne
bigvalveelan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a great mix of cars - this was a really good season opener for the HSCC and how the rain stayed away for the racing I don't understand.

I was in my Elan (#8) for Guards and had a splendid time. Only blemish was when I turned into the chicane while passing an E-type and received a hefty tap on the back wheel from a G16 (sorry George, didn't see you) trying to come up the inside. I lost 10-15 seconds reversing out of the gravel i'd been spun in to.

However, it was a busy day as my exhaust manifold ruptured during qualifying - it is several hours of work to wrestle the manifold off an Elan and back on again. Many thanks to John Smirthwaite and Jason who took it back to his engine shop and repaired it in time for the race.

But roof stayed on, nothing fell off the car, and we finished 3rd in the GT's just a few seconds behind the two mighty Griffiths of Whitaker and Brooks.

Exclusion of car 16 (Chevron B8) is related to reg Q14.4.4 - which itself relates to not keeping ones car on the track.

Roll on Thruxton.

Paul