View Single Post
Old 9 Oct 2013, 10:45 (Ref:3315091)   #7
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I thought the RS200 had been upgraded - it was certainly running the latest engine technology, the suspension was all new too (the article on the car in Performance Ford certainly gave the impression that the car was effectively 'all new').
If I recall correctly both the front and rear tub were chopped on "Rosie" weren't they? So that RS200 was partially spaceframe. Plus, as you say, the suspension mounting points were different (and the original double shocks had been replaced for a single shock, hadn't they?). There was a lot of modern technology on/in that RS200, so I daresay its not an entirely fair comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunder
But the simple facts are that an RS200 weighs about 1000 kg, and in it's heyday was producuing nearly 700 hp
True but, again referring to the rally comparison, look at the Group B rally cars, versus the Group A/WRCars. In fact consider the current crop of WRCars. Even smaller engines, supposedly lower power figures and still the cars continue to break stage records. Its true that the older cars had a high power/weight ratio but, like the example you gave, the modern cars are putting less power down far more efficiently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunder
Any difference in laptime and speed is purely down to the driver and the setup of the car, as if you put one bloke in a hybrid car with Gpb power and weight, and then in the same car with Supercar power and weight he would likely be quicker in the GpB one. As it has more power and less weight, it's simple math.
As I said earlier, check the video I posted. A component driver, in an unrestricted RS200 running period suspension and brakes and the more modern cars beat him.

Put some of that new technology in the Group B car and I'm certain it would be faster, but then thats no longer a direct comparison of old and new, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
it's a loss to the sport that it's not out there competing
Fully agreed! As I have said in the past I'm a huge fan of the modern machinery, but those two Group B cars are out there*, its such a shame that we aren't seeing them on track.

* Possibly. Last I heard "Rosie" had been robbed of a lot of bits for the Pikes Peak RS200?