Thread: Bernie
View Single Post
Old 22 Dec 2013, 21:41 (Ref:3347065)   #11
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Since Bernie got the rights to F1 from Max he has changed from making F1 the best and exclusive to just a money making machine for him and FOM's owners.
As promoter of F1 I don't see how he is doing that as it seems to be left to the teams and the circuits acting independently.

It will be interesting to see how things change in top level motorsports in the next few years as I suspect Jean Todt has been playing a very canny game for the better of motorsports. Sportscar racing appears to be on the way up and has now more manufacturers involved than in F1. It will be interesting to see how FE develops as this seems to be developing nicely.

I suspect that there could be major problems for F1 in the next few years as costs go up and money is sucked out of it. There is a real risk of a number of teams pulling out or going under with new structure that Bernie has put in place.

If thet were to happen then there are two possible replacements there in the form of sportscars or FE. Both of these are much more accessable in modern media and appear to be more sustainable long term. They both however have some way to go before they will have the appeal of F1.

The other thing that has happened in the last few days is DiMontezemolo's call for a meeting of all the team principles to get together in January. If they were to start singing off the same hymn sheet then Bernie has a problem as the teams together are potentially more powerfull than Bernie. A lot of that will depend on all the teams working together for the good of the sport.